



July 20, 2016, 16.10-17.10

Bissell Building, Inforum, BL728

140 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario

Present: Danielle, Katherine (via skype: katherine.mallalieu), Jake, Lari

Regrets: Christoph

[Agenda](#)

[Unapproved Minutes](#)

[Next Meeting](#)

[Action Items](#)

[Appendix](#)

[Appendix A](#)

Agenda

1. [Old Business](#)

1.1. Action Items Update

2. [New Business](#)

2.1. Welcome Lari!

2.2. Previous online vote results

2.3. Studio 307 update

2.4. Follow up actions for new funding form (report from Katherine)

2.5. Update on iSkills workshops (report from Jake)

2.6. Strategizing for the upcoming year

2.7. Participation in orientation



Unapproved Minutes

1. Old Business

- 1.1 Action Items Update
 - i. Action Items

ID	WHO	WHAT	TIL WHEN
1	Danielle	Email Anna Oh about decommissioning the macbooks & giving them to Studio 307	Done!
2	Danielle	Email Katherine regarding next steps on reporting for funding requests	Next Meeting (June/July)
3	Danielle	Email vote on Inforum Representative	Done
4	Jake	Email board to submit ideas for iSkills ahead of July 7 meeting with Kathleen	Done
5	Danielle	Send new bylaws to MISC & MUSSA for approval	September (possibly earlier for MISC)

2. New Business

- 2.1. Welcome Lari!
- 2.2. Previous online vote results
- 2.3. Studio 307 update
 - See [report from Jess Whyte](#) here
 - Discussions based on report requests:
 - Tech Fund stickers

KM: Stickers were purchased at some point last year but we don't know where they are

DK: Dawn found three stickers

LL: Both to acknowledge the equipment was purchased by the Tech Fund, and to identify it



as student-owned?

Kathleen: Our tech team at the iSchool had a lot of stickers - check with Glenn Cumming because we might have them.

LL: Administration of 307 - is it a sub-group of the student council? They're applying to Tech Fund for purchases - 307 is not a Tech Fund activity space.

JM: It's related to Semaphore.

LL: So admin structure is that it's a subgroup of Semaphore.

Kathleen: I saw that proposal that Jess wrote and I think it is in part Semaphore but not fully Semaphore; it's a student run initiative with pieces from different parts of the faculty. Students have 24 hour access; there will be people there to help educate people on what they can do with these materials; some will be iSkills, some will be through staff. I don't think it's fully Matt Ratto, but I think he's the faculty advisor to it.

DK: I can send you the package, Lari.

JM: It's a project for Jess too - he is her advisor.

Kathleen: Proposal came out of coursework.

- Hiring support
- Tech Fund liaison

JM: Sounds good to me!

DK: Will require constitutional amendment

LL: Who has authority to hire?

DK: Kathy Shyjak - two are work study, one is iSchool casual summer study.

LL: So role is advisory - Kathy is actually doing the hiring.

KM: It could be secretary.

DK: Exactly, it's kind of administrative.

LL: Doesn't make a huge difference - it's only advisory so it could be secretary.

Kathleen: I really don't see Kathy being supervisor so it's a question of who is going to be on that. Maybe Matt Ratto?

JM: I think that's the natural link.

Kathleen: When you fund workshops or you fund technology, you are saying you voted and you agreed that these are good events - so if the people who are organizing are 307, do you think they need a tech fund representative? Maybe it's not your workload to take on? At this point, it seems like a pilot project. I'm certain it will be successful but until it's solidified, is it something you want to take on?

JM: I also wonder whether we give them the money, and then we're on the hiring committee, is that a conflict of interest?

LL: It sort of speaks to the idea that maybe you don't faith?

JM: I wonder if there should be a link of a Tech Fund member if it grows its own structure, then having a Tech Fund member sit in on their meetings would be helpful.

Kathleen: Or you could have them come report back to you at your meetings as you give them money so the onus is on them, not on you, to come and continually provide updates.

JM: iSkills is a good parallel - Tech Fund gives money and this thing is created, but there isn't a staff position external to the iSchool that's running it and that might be something awkward.

LL: Even further, I'm thinking, ok so, the applicants for these positions are not going to be



from the iSchool. They'll be students from somewhere in the university but not necessary anything to do with the iSchool.

JM: Is there a way that it can be finagled to be iSchool students?

Kathleen: The casual position can be iSchool specific and Semaphore can specify iSchool as well. So that's something to figure out.

- Orientation

No discussion.

2.4. Follow up actions for new funding form (report from Katherine)

KM: The last couple of meetings, we voted and approved that we need some kind of more robust financial reporting system. It can be difficult to match up the line from the bank account to what's been spent. We need to clarify and decide:

- How we would like to present the form to iSchool students and groups
- The best way to do so and to make it known
- Where to store completed forms

Danielle, did you discuss with Kathy?

DK: No

KM: Tech fund has its own website, we didn't use it last year. We could make a PDF form that people can complete and submit on that site, or put it on the MISC/MUSSA sites? Does it need to be a form - could it just be an email send with all the info we want?

Kathleen: What about a web form and then it would feed into a database? Easy to do via Drupal if you have that on your site. Did you ask Kathy of what's been submitted to her? Going forward, if you did that form, its already capturing it.

LL: So your spreadsheet can match Kathy's spreadsheet.

JM: We can also just use Google Sheets.

KM: This form is for reimbursement

DK: Send form directly and host on the site

KM: It was something that came out of frustration with financial stuff

2.5. Update on iSkills workshops (report from Jake)

Kathleen: There's about 80 workshops - somewhere duplication; it's down to about 69-73. Haven't worked out a full budget because Semaphore was waiting until August, and then KMDI also partners on some of these workshops and so I have to meet with their coordinator. Budget shows your estimated cost. We pay instructors 50\$ per hour (typically - some anomalies) x 1.04 vacation x 1.1 benefits. One thing added that comes out of student requests is mental health workshops. We're doing personal development stemming from



increase of mental health resources requested by students in response to students passing away due to mental illness over the past five years. Part of the research I have been looking at mindfulness meditation and resulting from this, is an area on the fifth floor adjacent to the two labs that will have meditation resources. As part of that, feeding into that will be meditation workshops. It will be a secular space, open to all students to access at 24 hours as per the Inforum. There's also technology around this e.g. iPod with noise cancelling headphones. iPod Nanos are for accessibility.

Total is around \$4,000 as currently laid out. I would, once I have confirmation, I'll send you a fall workshop roster so that voting can be done in two sections.

DK: Concern around mental health workshops because they are outside our mandate but I think we can do the hardware.

JM: I really like the initiative so I think we should try to support it however we can

Kathleen: There's also muse tech - we can just take you off the workshop listing

Katherine: Very important to support mental health concerns but outside Tech Fund mandate

Kathleen: I will send the full list and take out the instructors.

DK: Need a distinct budget to vote.

JM: Want to add that the library freedom project - she's flown from out of town and last year, only two people attended so there's a question of whether it's worth it, or if she would attend again. You also had the idea of dock five dollars.

Kathleen: It's a faculty idea and a great way to ensure attendance. If they do not withdraw 24 hours prior to day of workshop, they will have five dollars added as a library charge.

Alumni will also be present at select workshops and they will pay a small amount. Money will be divided between the three of us, and we're just piloting it to see how it works because it may help current students meet future employers and it helps alumni rejoin the community and I'm happy to share details but it has yet to be approved. Includes Illustrator, 3D printing, careers workshops.

2.6. Strategizing for the upcoming year

- [Yearly Activities doc](#)

Skip!

2.7. Participation in orientation

- DK met with Eden Rusnell on July 19 to discuss how Tech Fund can participate in orientation. Eden indicated that there are three ways to do so:
 - Provide a talk on Tech Fund at orientation
 - Provide a pamphlet on Tech Fund for the swag bags
 - Provide swag for the swag bags (she suggested stickers or USBs)
- Orientation is on September 7, 2016.
- The deadline for contributions to swag bags is the last week in August (earlier in the week) so they can stuff the bags.



- There are 200+ students entering the iSchool this year. The number participating in orientation will be provided ASAP for purchasing purposes if needed.

JM: Raspberry pis would be cooler than the USB, but USBs are universally handy. It would be cool to raffle off a couple cool things. I think the idea of a raffle or a challenge or a mini hackathon or something that gets people doing something, engaged, and understanding what Tech Fund does. I'd like if there's an outreach component.

LL: Take that opportunity to talk for sure because there will be lots of things to embellish - talk about funding iSkills, events, etc. I don't know whether you need to give anything out though it's a constant reminder every time they use it, they look at it. Also has dual purpose for fobs.

DK: We can do a raffle and I'll look into a quote for USBs.

JM: Need to give away swag with some level of engagement. Don't put USBs in bag.

KM: Maybe ask MISC/MUSSA to point out stuff Tech Fund has purchased.

2.8. Remaining Business...

Next Meeting

To be determined by Doodle Poll

Action Items

ID	WHO	WHAT	TIL WHEN
1	Danielle	Check with Glenn Cumming about whereabouts of stickers	ASAP
2	Danielle	Follow up with Jess: <ul style="list-style-type: none">• Cost of stickers; adjust number of stickers (let's buy more)• Will students hired be iSchool?• Hiring committee & adding 307 to Tech Fund rep portfolio	ASAP



3	Danielle	Quotes on stickers	ASAP
4	Danielle	Vote on stickers	ASAP
5	Katherine	Create funding form & successful funding email	By August meeting
6	Danielle	Look into quotes for USBs	ASAP
7	Danielle	Contact Eden about a raffle; pointing out Tech Fund purchases in iSchool tours	ASAP
8	Jake	Research other raffle items (low cost)	By August meeting
9	Danielle	Design a postcard	By August meeting
10	Danielle	Online vote: iSkills funding	ASAP
11	Danielle	Send new bylaws to MISC & MUSSA for approval	September (possibly earlier for MISC)



Appendix

Appendix A

